First Period After a Baby: What to Expect

After delivering your baby, your body will go through numerous different changes to come back to normal. One of the changes is the onset of your first period. Enduring it may be difficult but by learning more about it, you can brace yourself for it. Claim Your 20 Free Pregnancy Tests – Click Here

There is no definite time for the onset of your first period after a baby. Some may have it immediately after a month but others may have it after many months all together. Because of this, a lot of confusion erupts among new moms about their periods.

They are confused about the time frame and what they should expect. They are also confused about what affects their periods. Knowing more about it will help you a lot, thus. Here is important information about the first period after a baby.

The time frame

If you are not nursing, you will get your periods within three months of delivery. If you are nursing, it may be procrastinated by a few more months. Indeed, breastfeeding plays a significant role in the return of your menstrual cycle.

If your baby breastfeeds or nurses regularly, you will have your period late. If nursing is every now and then, and not very frequent, your period will occur sooner. There are some women who don’t get their period even after six months of stopping breastfeeding.

For other women, it won’t take more than three months after delivery. If your baby sleeps all night without the need of nursing, you will have your period sooner, generally.

What to expect during my first period postpartum?

Take for granted that your period will be heavier and more painful. It will also last for more days than it used to last previously. The reason why the first period after delivery is painful, longer, and heavier is that the body is adapting to this change. It hasn’t gone through the cycle for nine months now and it is a little new for it.

Soon your body will adjust and from your next period, you won’t face a problem. In fact, normal periods return immediately after the first period for more than ninety percent of the women. Hence, you shouldn’t worry at all it your first period is heavy and painful. Know that it is meant to be like that.

What is the significance of my first period after delivery?

You should take the onset of your first period postpartum as a good sign because it is back to ovulating. However, you should know that you might not have regular periods for a few months or at least until you are breastfeeding regularly. As aforementioned, breastfeeding affects periods by affecting ovulation. Thus, you may have it once in a couple of weeks or once in six months too. The range is wide and the irregularity will fade away once you stop breastfeeding.

Ovulation without menstruation

Don’t be under the impression that just because you haven’t gotten your period you won’t get pregnant. This is true only in 60 percent of the cases. In the remaining 40 percent of the cases, pregnancy can occur. Thus, you should be very careful unless you want to have a baby so soon.

How do I know whether my first period is normal?

Heavy and long first periods are normal but sometimes, it may indicate a problem such as a thyroid disease, molar pregnancy, or an infection. Signs of abnormal bleeding are extreme heavy bleeding that causes the pad to soak in an hour, large blood clot, and your period lasting for more than eight days. If any of these holds true for you, you should see the doctor immediately.

ConceiveEasy TTC Kit + 20 FREE Pregnancy Tests

Dr. Renee Hanton, MD
Dr. Renee Hanton, MD | ConceiveEasy
Dr. Renee Hanton is ConceiveEasy's Senior Physician with expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of infertility. Dr. Hanton specializes in the endocrine causes of infertility, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)